Any incoming freshman who is interested in taking an honors course is required to take the PreACT.
Placement into 9th Grade Honors Courses:
Freshman honors courses include:
- Honors English I
- Honors Physical Science
- Honors Algebra I or Honors Geometry
- Honors World Geography
Note: If your incoming freshman student is interested in an honors course that is not on this list, please contact Mrs. Dawn Aucoin.
Honors courses offer a challenging environment where more topics are covered at a greater depth. Students who are successful in honors classes are generally above average in the following areas:
- Academic achievement
- Intellectual ability
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
In order to qualify for an honors course, incoming freshmen for the 2022-2023 school year must:
- Earn a C or better in the respective course at the end of the 1st Semester of the 8th grade AND
- Score a 20 or higher on the corresponding subject test on the PreACT.
- Placement into Honors World Geography is determined by the score on the Reading subject test.
- Placement into Honors Physical Science is determined by the scores in both the Science and Math subject tests.
For any questions, contact Academic Assistant Principal, Ms. Lauren Schomaker, firstname.lastname@example.org or 337-235-5711 Ext. 233 or Freshman Guidance Counselor, Mrs. Dawn Aucoin, email@example.com or 337-235-5711 Ext. 114.