HONORS/DUAL ENROLLMENT COURSES
The honors and dual enrollment courses at Teurlings Catholic are designed to provide in-depth study in a given area. Students who are interested and meet the grade level criteria may pick up an application form from the counselor.
Placement into 9th Grade Honors Courses
* A student must have earned a 90% average or higher in the selected course at the end of the 8th
grade first semester with no conduct grade lower than “C.”
* Using the most recent standardized test scores, a student must have the following:
- Math (H) – 90th percentile or higher in Math
-Science (H) – 90th percentile or higher in Science
-Geography (H) – 90th percentile or higher in Reading
- English (H): Student must have achieved an average of 90% using the reading and language NPR.
Placement into 10th - 12th Grade Honors Courses
* A student must have earned a 90% average or higher in selected courses on his or her 1st semester
report card and have received no conduct grade lower than “C.”
* A student must have a sub score of 20 or higher on the Pre-ACT or ACT in the selected area.
Honors Continuation Policy
* Students currently enrolled in honors courses must reapply each year. Current standardized test
scores will be evaluated to determine eligibility to continue in the program.
* Grades earned for the first semester will be considered. Students in honors courses must maintain a
grade of “C” or higher in the course to continue in the program.
Dual Enrollment Program
The Dual Enrollment Program, run in conjunction with Louisiana Tech University, Northwestern State University and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, allows students to earn college credit while taking courses at Teurlings Catholic. Dual Enrollment courses are considered to be honors courses at Teurlings Catholic High School and count as such in determining honor graduate status. DE courses are currently offered in English III, English IV, American History, World History, Psychology, French II, Spanish III, Interpersonal Communications, Food and Nutrition, Fine Arts Survey, Sociology, Anatomy for Non-Majors, College Algebra, and College Trigonometry.
Students interested in the program must have a minimum ACT composite score of 20 and meet all university enrollment guidelines. Seniors must also have a GPA of no less than 2.75 and underclassmen a GPA of no less than 3.0 to participate. In addition, the following guidelines apply in registering for individual classes:
DE French II - must have an A or B in French I
DE English III – must have a 22 on the English portion of the ACT
DE English IV – must have a 22 on the English portion of the ACT
DE U.S. History – must have a 22 on the reading portion of the ACT
DE World History –must have a 22 on the reading portion of the ACT
DE Advanced Math II (College Algebra) – must have a 22 on the Math portion of the ACT
DE Trigonometry – must have a 26 on the Math portion of the ACT
DE Anatomy(for non-majors) – must have a 22 on the Science portion of the ACT
DE Online Courses- must have a 22 on the Reading portion of the ACT
Students who fail to earn a C or better in any Dual Enrolment course may not register for additional courses. Grading in Dual Enrollment courses is conducted according to the university guidelines and all Dual Enrollment grades will appear on all subsequent college transcripts. Dual Enrollment grades may affect the individual student’s TOPS status during the first semester of college.
Fees for Dual Enrollment are set each year by the cooperating university/college and are paid directly to the university. Credit is issued for the college course by the appropriate institution, based on the college grading scale. Students, on successful completion of the course, receive credit for the high school course from Teurlings Catholic and for the college course from the university or college.
HONOR GRADUATE CATEGORIES
To achieve the distinction of Honor Graduate, a student must satisfy all of the following requirements:
* No final average in any course lower than a 78%
* Two years of a foreign language
* A GPA of no less than 3.500
Teurlings Catholic will recognize the following Honor Graduates at commencement:
- Msgr. Charles Fortier Honor Graduates: 4.000 grade point average and a minimum of 11 completed honors courses.
- Father Bede Becnel Honor Graduates: 3.500 grade point average and a minimum of 11 completed honors courses.
- Sister Angelle Bell Honor Graduates: 3.500 grade point average and a minimum of 9 completed honors courses.
- Sister Julie McDougall Honor Graduates: 3.500 grade point average and a maximum of 8 completed honors courses.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Email us at email@example.com.